I am not a fan of black coffee, so when my husband bought a Keurig a few years ago, we started buying a steady supply of flavored coffee creamer as well. I always joke with my husband that he likes a little bit of coffee with his creamer. When he says he likes coffee, I always chuckle… he likes creamer, and the coffee is just the vehicle. :)
Flavored Creamer Ingredients
But have you ever looked at the ingredient label on a bottle of flavored creamer? They are pretty awful! I always wonder how they can make something with virtually no food ingredients taste good! (Granted, not all coffee creamers are good, some of them even taste artificial and plastic-y – but there are a couple of them that are pretty tasty!) I don’t like to throw any product under the bus, but I don’t think it’s any secret that the ingredients in flavored coffee creamer are pretty gross. And I’m not hating on this product, I actually just pulled it out of my fridge!! But check it out…
Water, sugar, vegetable oil (soybean and canola), sodium caseinate, mono- and diglycerides, dipotassium phosphate, cellulose gel, natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, and carrageenan. Blegh!!! Again, I really don’t know how they’ve made this taste good, because I’m not sure there is any real food in that!! Not to mention the ingredients contain GMOs (genetically modified organisms) as well. Boooo.
Now… I am NOT perfect. It’s not as if I never drink this – obviously I pulled it out of my own fridge! I’ve talked about it before, but I have this unwritten 80% rule… if 80% of the time I’m eating clean foods, I don’t stress about the other 20%. So because the ingredients in this creamer are basically junk, I don’t drink it every day – but I also don’t freak out when I drink it once in a while.
Needing to Find a Healthy Coffee Creamer
Because I enjoy a cup of joe in the morning, I’m always on the lookout for better creamer options. In an attempt to find a healthy coffee creamer, I’ve tried lots of different organic creamers, the ‘simple ingredient’ creamers, etc. Sadly, most of them still have different gums, contain too much dairy, or contain ingredients that either give me headaches or mess with my insides, and I just cannot drink them. (There are actually many flavored creamers like the one pictured above that I can’t drink either! I am sensitive, ha!)
Then I started hearing about ‘bulletproof coffee’, where you blend coconut oil and/or butter with your coffee in the blender. I tried that a few times, and it was pretty good! I wanted something that was a bit lighter, so I have been using the following ‘recipe’ in the mornings, measurements are approximate!
- (All Measurements are approximate, adjust to your liking)
- 12 oz of hot coffee
- 2 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of honey
- Splash of almond extract
- Splash of vanilla
- Dash of cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a blender/Ninja/Nutribullet/etc. and blend for about 5 seconds. Enjoy!
The blender emulsifies the coconut oil and the coffee and turns it into a creamy drink!! It’s kind of amazing. I like adding the honey for just a touch of sweetness, you can add less or more to your liking. This version certainly isn’t as sweet as using, say, several tablespoons of flavored creamer. But I just need something to take the edge off the bitterness and have come to really enjoy my coffee this way. I’ve recorded a video below so you can see the process.
You could make a ‘batch’ of this creamer blend so you’re not mixing all the ingredients every morning, here is a post of a similar recipe made ahead of time. You could do the same thing and just adjust the ingredients to your liking! I may have to do this for my hubby, I might actually get him off his flavored creamers. :)
I hope you give this a try!! And if you know someone who would like this recipe, please feel free to share!! Until next time. :)
PS – If you’re looking for a safer K cup, one that does not use plastic, please check out my post Safer K Cups for Your Home Brewer!