Deodorant is one of those products that I really wanted to switch to something safer when I first started getting rid of chemicals in my environment. Deodorants are TRICKY!! :) I wrote a post about the 5 Secrets to Using Natural Deodorants with some tips on switching to a safer deodorant. Definitely check it out if you have not already!
Traditional deodorants contain aluminum to keep your pores from releasing sweat, plus other ingredients like parabens, phtalates, propylene glycol, and triclosan. Ingredients put onto the skin can and do absorb into the bloodstream (think of all the ‘patch’-type prescriptions that are now offered, since your skin absorbs the ingredients transdermally). I have tried several natural deodorants over the years, but Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant is my new favorite!
Keep in mind that natural deodorants are just that… deodorants. They are NOT anti-antiperspirants, so they will not stop you from sweating. That being said, it is surprising how much you do NOT sweat naturally! And when you’ve found a natural deodorant that works well with your body, even if you’ve been out in the heat or exercised, your underarms will stay fresh!
3 (Okay, 4) Reasons I love Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant
I try a lot of products, and they don’t all make it to the blog. I only share products that I think really work, and this one is amazing! Here are the reasons I love Schmidt’s:
- Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant works for a full 24 hours for me – better than ‘regular’ deodorant! This is crazy. I can apply it after taking a shower in the morning, then go about my day, sleep through the night, wake up and exercise, and before I’m ready to hop in the shower, my armpits smell like NOTHING. (sorry if that’s TMI) It’s the craziest thing. Regular deodorant (yes, the kind with all the chemicals) cannot compete in this department, especially if you’ve sweat while exercising. While you may not smell particularly bad after all this activity, you just know you probably smell less than fresh! This is NOT the case for me with Schmidt’s. Amazing.
- It comes in a stick! I actually really liked the last deodorant I was using, but it came in a pot/jar, and I had to apply it with my fingers. I was fine with that because I hadn’t found something else that worked as well… until I found Schmidt’s! I LOVE that this comes in a stick, because I hate getting stuff on my hands! :) (FYI – if you like the pot/jar format, Schmidt’s does sell it this way as well)
- It is NOT sticky. Some of the natural deodorants I have tried contain a high proportion of coconut oil, and sometimes if you are outside and it is hot, or if you are exercising, the deodorant can re-liquify while you’re wearing it and get a bit sticky. I have not had this issue with Schmidt’s. It does contain coconut oil, but perhaps a smaller proportion? I’m not sure. It does also contain arrowroot powder, which I’m sure helps to keep things drier as well.
- I can find this deodorant locally! This is a bonus for me – I love that I can find Schmidt’s in local stores! I am used to having to buy stuff like this online, and I’m not always good about having extra on hand – which means I run out before I can get some shipped here. I was super excited to find this in my local Fresh Thyme. Schmidt’s has a store locator so you can check if a store in your area carries it.
Tips on Using Schmidt’s
- It’s not going to glide on as smoothly as your Dove or Degree, so you have to either apply it a bit more slowly, or you can warm the top with a warm blow dryer for a few seconds to get it on smoothly. Watch the video below for a small demonstration on this. ;)
- Schmidt’s does contain baking soda which can be irritating to some people. I don’t typically experience sensitivity, but occasionally I will. When that happens, I use my ‘barrier deodorant’ before applying the Schmidt’s (check out my 5 Secrets to Using Natural Deodorant for more info on this!). I usually only have to do this for a day or two until my armpits are happy again. However, if you regularly experience sensitivity from using a natural deodorant, many companies now offer a ‘sensitive’ version, and Schmidt’s is no exception. I have not tried it, but you could look into it if sensitivity is an issue for you!
- Exfoliate under your arms so your deodorant keeps working! Again, this is another tip from my ‘5 Secrets’ post. It’s common for natural deodorants to ‘stop working’ after they’ve worked great for a period of time, but exfoliating really is the trick to keeping your natural deodorant working great! Every few days, I lightly exfoliate under my arms with a washcloth in the shower.
If you end up trying Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant, let me know how you like it!! One more ‘Shift’ made!! :)
Affiliate link included for your convenience!